Allnic L-6500 Line-stage Preamplifier
Introducing the NEW
Allnic L-6500 Line-stage Preamplifier!
The new “baby” of the Allnic preamps, sharing many of the outstanding features of its siblings, exceptional sound, and remarkable performance to cost value, the L-6500 is offered now at an introductory price – for a limited time only. Shipping November 1, 2021.
“…something to shout about!”
READ THE STELLAR REVIEW IN HIFI+ ISSUE 207, MAY 2022!
NOW – A hi-fi+ Product of the Year winner for 2022!
Long-awaited, the replacement for the extremely successful Allnic L-1500 preamp (14 years in production!) is here at last. With the exceptional sound quality we expect from Allnic, the L-6500 features 20dB gain, Allnic’s famous in-house designed and built permalloy output transformers – ensuring a constant low output impedance (ensuring it will work with almost all amplifiers), multiple balanced and single-ended inputs and outputs, NOS tubes, separate current meters for each channel and remote control. All this is in the new rugged chassis design that reduces vibration and matches the award-winning H-5500 phono stage. We are certain the L-6500 will more than please its owners for years to come. Another one “out of the Park” for Allnic!
The Allnic L-6500 Line-stage Preamplifier has the following key features
- Line output transformer coupling – The L-6500 is “transformer coupled. In tube amp circuitry, there are two coupling methods; one is capacitor coupling and the other is transformer coupling. Capacitor coupling is the traditional, low cost method. It is somewhat stable but transfers only voltage, not wattage (i.e., not real energy). With transformer coupling, about 90% of real wattage is transferred (there is still a transformer loss of about 10% of wattage – voltage is not affected).
- Transformer coupling is superior to capacitor coupling. However, all the advantages of transformer coupling depend on the quality of the transformer and on the choice of tubes. Allnic Audio manufactures its own transformers and uses what it views to be the best core material, Permalloy. Allnic Audio’s unprecedented, wide (16Hz ~ 75kHz, -3db), low distortional, and ultra-flexible (up to 50kHz square wave response) output transformer helps Allnic Audio to realize the ideal transformer coupled preamplifier. Of course, gain tubes are also carefully selected for three critical factors for function with the Permalloy output transformers: high gm, low internal resistance and high mu.
- Constant and low output impedance – One of the benefits of transformer coupling is that it facilitates constant low output impedance. Low output impedance is critical to the design of a good preamplifier. The L-6500 has a 150 ohm (150Ω) constant output impedance at all frequencies. In capacitor coupling (C-R coupling), a “cathode follower circuit” is usually used to lower output impedance. Unfortunately, this method of lowering output impedance is accompanied by high distortion and has an “L” shaped output impedance curve. Please compare the two graphs below, especially for low frequency response.
- No negative feedback design
- Advanced tube technology voltage regulation – For quieter and more dynamic operation, the L-6500 has an ultra-high speed automatic voltage regulation circuit, utilizing vacuum tubes. This also protects the amplifying tubes from change in the AC line supply and copes with any abrupt, internal current demand.
- Precision attenuator volume control – The L‐6500 does not employ a digital IC volume control or a low‐ cost carbon film volume control with a motor. Allnic Audio has developed a precision oil clutched motorized attenuator; the L‐6500 has no (± 0db) channel unbalance at any volume level.
- Pure Class A operation
- Pure balanced output stage
- As are all Allnic Audio products, the L-6500 is fully RoHS (EU Reduction of Hazardous Substances regulation) compliant in construction and materials
|Inputs:||Line level × 5 pairs:
Balanced (XLR) × 3
Unbalanced (RCA) × 2
Balanced (XLR) × 1 pair
Unbalanced (RCA) × 2 pair
|Input Impedance:||100k ohms (RCA), 100k ohms (XLR)
|Frequency Range:||20Hz ~ 20kHz (FLAT)
16Hz ~ 75kHz (-3dB)
|THD (1kHz):||Output 0.3V, 0.06%
Output 1.0V, 0.15%
|S/N Ratio:||-90dB (CCIR, 1kHz)
|Maximum Output:||15V RMS (Non-clipping)
|Output Impedance:||150Ω Constant
|Power Consumption:||30W at 110/120V / 60 Hz
|Tubes:||5842 (equivalent to WE417A, CV3789, F7004) × 2 (gain stage)
7233 x 1 (no equivalent) voltage regulator
5654 (equivalent to 6AK5, 6AK5W, EF95) x 1
(voltage error detector)
|· Fuse:||2A/250V 20mm for 230/240V region – slow blow
3A/250V 20mm for 110/120V region – slow blow
|Tube chimney screws:||2mm Allen head
|Dimensions:||410mm (16.93 inches) (W)
290mm (11.42 inches) (D)
170mm (6.69 inches) (H)
|Weight:||10kg (22 lbs) unpacked.
12kg (26.45 lbs) packed in original shipping material.